top of page
The Open Virtual Film Project is an independent public benefit project with the purpose to provide a free and open pipeline for incorporating Epic’s Unreal Engine 4 and several addons to traditional DDCs into the various departments found in film and TV. It is supported through donations and paid additions to the core set of tools sold by its developers. The funding provided allows us to host and maintain www.openvirtualfilmproject.com/ support development, documentation and training projects, and pay for bookkeeping and administrative expenses. At the current moment it is primarily run by Fae Corrigan, an ADG local 800 illustrator and assistant art director with some volunteer support by film professionals. You can learn more about them and get involved here. You can learn more about the future of the project here.
The website is in early development, so the structure changes frequently and pages may be missing or broken.
The driving goal of this project is to facilitate the creative film-making process’s use of advanced technology and break down the technical barriers to entry. To meet that goal the core of the project developed by the team is freely available as CC0. This includes the folder structure and naming conventions.
The OVFP Unreal Plugin is free for you to use. The goal of the OVFP Plugin is to be incorporated into the Epic Games Unreal Engine by default.
Copyright (c) 2022 Fae Corrigan
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
The purpose of this project is to:
• Provide a set of common standards to use on virtual production films, allowing easy transfer between projects and hand-offs between departments
• Provide tools to make the use of those common standards approachable and efficient for each level of technical proficiency
• Remove technological hindrances that get in the way making the best movies/tv/shorts possible
• Make the process of using naming conventions and folder structures easily approachable so they become the default process for film artists
• Manage a website where tutorials, resources and downloads can be found
• Establish funding and revenue mechanisms to cover the project’s expenses
• Provide a free starting project for any scale of production, from indie filmmakers to blockbuster features
bottom of page